One day, hopefully before his death, Ruben Bolling will get his just desserts ... (FYI: I believe he prefers vanilla pudding cups).
Tom the Dancing Bug entertains, informs, skewers, lampoons, ridicules, and nourishes the soul. It could quite possibly be the most intelligent strip in production (with apologies to Pepe). I've met Mr. Bolling and while not traditionally handsome, there is a certain something about him that makes you want to be around him ... is it his magnetismo? Is it his cologne? Is it that he'll usually pick up the bar bill?
Frankly, I don't want to know. To paraphrase Socrates, "Somethings are better left unexamined." I would like to share with you my favorite characters/features that have appeared in the strip over the years.
1. Fat Man Who Uses Beard to Simulate Jawline
2. Harvey Richards, Attorney for Children
3. Sam Roland, The Detective Who Dies
4. Complex 1960s Literary Protagonist
5. Uncle Cap'n
6. Old Guy Who Dresses Young
7. Ethnic Humor, Inoffensive because it is created by members of the ethnic groups
8. Fabulous Guy in the Airport on cell phone
9. Louis Maltby
10. (tie) God-Man, Charley the Australopithecine, Nate the NeoCon, Dingle, Bill Dare: Boy Adventurer, Science Facts for the Immature
There are three TTDB books in print. I recommend you buy today. It's the kind of humor that you can reread and still laugh at the gags even though you know what's coming.