It's no April Fool's Day joke: we have a giveaway that could be considered legendary (RIP Barney Stinson, HIMYM).
Today, a new comic strip documentary was released on iTunes - Stripped. The film focuses on the history and future of the comics industry and talks with many of the top cartoonists in the world. From the GoComics family, the credits reads like a "who's who" of comics. This includes:
- Lalo Alcaraz (La Cucaracha, editorial cartoonist)
- Bill Amend (FoxTrot)
- Darren Bell (Candorville, Rudy Park)
- Jim Davis (Garfield)
- Greg Evans (Luann)
- Tom Gammill (The Doozies)
- Shaenon K. Garrity (Skin Horse)
- John Glynn (Universal Uclick/GoComics President)
- Cathy Guisewite (Cathy)
- Michael Jantze (The Norm)
- Lynn Johnston (For Better or For Worse)
- Keith Knight (K Chronicles, Knight Life, (th)ink)
- Mell Lazarus (Momma)
- Stephan Pastis (Pearls Before Swine)
- Rodd Perry and Guy Endore-Kaiser (Brevity)
- David Reddick (Legend of Bill)
- Lee Salem (Universal Uclick/GoComics President Emeritus)
- Jeanne Schulz (widow of Peanuts creator Charles Schulz)
- Richard Thompson (Cul De Sac, Richard's Poor Almanac)
- Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes) - his first recorded interview in at least two decades.
Take a look at the trailer:
The film was so highly regarded that the notoriously private Bill Watterson came out of retirement to draw the movie poster - his first public cartoon since retiring from Calvin and Hobbes.
To celebrate this day with you and our cartoonists, we've partnered with the film's directors on a giveaway. You will have a chance to win our grand prize (the Stripped movie poster with artwork drawn by Watterson) or one of three second-place prizes (a DVD copy of the film).
Enter the contest by commenting below and answering the following two-part question: What is your favorite newspaper comic strip AND what is your favorite webcomic?
The contest will end at noon CT on Wednesday, April 9. This contest is open worldwide to all comics fans. If you have won a GoComics prize in the past week, you are not eligible. By entering, you are open to your entry being used by Universal Uclick/GoComics and the Stripped filmmakers in promoting the film and its outreach.
Visit the Stripped website, follow them on Twitter and like them on Facebook. Also, support their efforts by buying a digital copy of the film here. Also, co-director Dave Kellett will be on a live tweet session with @gocomics on Friday at 1:30PM CT! Write in to ask him about the film, working with Bill Watterson and other great cartoonists and more, by tweeting to us using the hashtag #strippedfilm.