According to our calendars, this past Sunday (June 21) was the official first day of summer. Although that’s very exciting to some of us, others aren’t ready to embrace the season just yet. In light of this, we’ve come up with a gratifying checklist of events that signal summer’s actual arrival, bringing more of the summer spirit along as you cross each one off.
1. You start experiencing the two S’s of summer – sweating and sneezing – but honestly, you don’t even care!
2. More sweat leads to less clothing, and those few leftover pounds rear their ugly heads.
3. Have no fear about sign No. 2, though! Your gym membership quickly becomes a thing of the past as you get further into your can’t-beat-the-heat summer weight-loss program and the pounds literally melt away.
4. The first splat of ice cream hits the pavement.
5. You smell the welcome scent of grills burning in your neighborhood.
6. You suddenly feel like you’ve been barbecued yourself, realizing that it’s time to head to the drug store for some SPF and aloe vera.
7. As temperatures increase, so does your urge to call in “sick.” You’re right – it is “just too nice outside” to go into work.
8. Also in correlation with the weather: the amount of bug repellent needed.
9. The peaceful silence of summer starts to set in.
10. Last but certainly not least, as days get longer and spirits get higher, you start to feel like all your summer dreams are finally coming true.
Happy summer, comic fans! Dive into more summer-themed comics here.