Memorial Day weekend is approaching and vacation season is officially upon us! I don’t know about you all, but I’m sitting at my cubicle today, staring out the window, envisioning myself sprawled out on a dock at the lake with a comic book in hand. I’m ready to slap on some SPF 100 and soak up as many UV rays as my pale skin can manage over my three-day weekend.
However, before I pack up my swimsuit and inevitably much-needed aloe vera to hit the road, I’m making sure to keep in mind all of the basic rules of travel, outlined here by some of my favorite GoComics characters:
1. Practice makes perfect. Whether you’re notoriously late, forgetful or you just need to build your blood pressure up to withstand road rage, don’t hit the open road unprepared.
2. Sometimes there’s no time for practice. In the case of a three-alarm-red-alert-emergency getaway, go as far and fast as you can!
3. When you’re packing for a three-day weekend, remember just that – it’s three days. You’re not preparing for the apocalypse.
4. Remember your end goal. The point of road trips, as fun as they are, is to eventually reach your destination. No one likes a chronic pit-stopper! Pee before you leave, pack snacks and learn to read fast because, if I’m driving, we’re passing those historical markers at a minimum of 55 MPH.
5. Once you do finally arrive, enjoy it (even if you’re the only one). The weekend will be over before you know it, so rise and shine, soak up the sun and breathe in all the fresh air you can.
6. All of that being said, though, you can’t plan for everything. Don’t let weather or the fish not biting ruin your trip. Just be thankful you get to endure any obstacles that may arise with your loved ones.
Safe travels and happy vacationing, comic-lovers!