When I – an avid social media user – learned today was Social Media Day, I jumped on the opportunity to blog about it!
Since its invention, social media has taken society by storm, providing us with many new conveniences and forms of entertainment, becoming a more prominent part of our culture with every passing day. As is true with any technology, though, it is not universally “liked.” The social media debate extends into the GoComics universe quite often, and, through comic strips and readers’ comments, I get to see both sides of it.
Inspired by what I’ve seen, and in honor of Social Media Day, I’ve compiled a list of reasons to love (and hate) social media:
1. Social media lets you connect with family members (and sometimes allows your family to excessively stalk you).
2. It can also put distance between you and your family members (great for normally uncomfortable holiday situations, but have you ever tried to hug an iPad? It’s no good.)
3. It gives the average person a platform to talk about their passions, whatever they may be (anyone can talk about anything, anytime they want, as much as they want, regardless of who cares).
4. It allows you to catch up with old classmates (some people’s worst nightmare).
5. It acts as a forum for debate (this one is self-explanatory).
6. Sites like Pinterest give you the confidence to bring out the DIY side of yourself that you’ve never explored before (perhaps for good reason?).
7. Twitter allows you to keep your followers updated on your every move because, as the common saying goes, if you didn’t tweet about it, did it really happen? (hint: YES, it still happened.)
8. Social media also provides you with ways to gain feedback from others (which can be very rewarding and very addicting).
9. It allows you to joke around with friends, with the ability to type things like “LOL” without ever actually having to laugh, which is great (so long as you realize that).
10. Phone apps allow you to have access to your favorite social media sites everywhere you go, and that’s so convenient (as long as you don’t let your battery die … whoops).
What are your thoughts on social media? Do you love it, hate it, or a little bit of both?